Paula Badosa funnily tells why she’s playing RG mixed doubles with Stefanos Tsitsipas

 

Badosa and Tsitsipas are set to play mixed doubles together on the main level for the first time.

Paula Badosa hilariously joked that she accepted to play mixed doubles with Stefanos Tsitsipas because she expects her boyfriend to do all of the work so she can just casually stroll around the court.

When the French Open mixed doubles draw was released on Sunday, Badosa and Tsitsipas – who announced last week that they reunited as a couple – were on the list. And now, Badosa, 26, and 25-year-old Tsitsipas are set to play mixed doubles together on the main level for the first time. 

After starting her French Open singles campaign with a hard-earned 4-6 7-5 6-4 win over Katie Boulter, Badosa was asked what was the reason behind the decision to also play mixed doubles at Roland Garros.

In the French Open mixed doubles first round, Badosa and Tsitsipas are scheduled to meet Ena Shibahara and Nathaniel Lammons.

Paula Badosa and Stefanos Tsitsipas
Paula Badosa and Stefanos Tsitsipas© Matthew Stockman / Staff Getty Images Sport

“He will work for me so I don’t have to run much. It’s good to practice,” Badosa funnily stated.

Hahahahaha ???????????? — Paula Badosa (@paulabadosa) May 28, 2024

Badosa gets serious: I don’t like to rest 

On a more serious note, Badosa explained that she decided to play mixed doubles in Paris because she thought it would serve her as a good practice for singles.

“Honestly, I don’t rest on a rest day, I have to train… As I have many things to improve in my tennis, especially the first shots, the volleys, the serve, the rest… It seemed to me that it was a good idea being able to play doubles or mixed,” Badosa explained.

Meanwhile, Badosa may have started her French Open campaign with a win but she continues to be hampered by a chronic back issue. 

“It’s not easy. After Rome, I felt pain in my back again, I had to return to Spain. Many doubts arose, and uncertainty. I wondered how I am going to continue like this, depending on the injections,” Badosa said.

For a place in the French Open singles third round, Badosa will play against Yulia Putintseva.

Post a Comment

0 Comments